The Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST) was founded in 1981 as a not-for-profit association aimed at encouraging women into Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). SCWIST aims to support and promote the education of girls and women through programs and activities in partnership with the community.
SCWIST has spectacular record of boosting the numbers, retention and status of women in the workplace by facilitating networking, mentoring and advocating woman-friendly policies.
SCWIST also highlights opportunities, achievements and positive messages for and about women in the field through raising public awareness and guiding policy implementation.
Empower, Include, Inspire, Connect, Sustain
To create an environment where women and girls in Canada can pursue their interest, education, and careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) without barriers.
We aim at realizing our values through:
- Providing activities, mentorship, and leadership that support women and girls in accomplishing their dreams
- Removing barriers and raising public awareness by promoting and advocating for inclusive policies and equitable practices in education, the workplace, and in government
- Inspiring innovation and encouraging excellence through positive role models and outreach programs
- Fostering connections through professional networks and programs we develop in partnership with the community
- Boosting the numbers, retention, and status of women in the workplace by facilitating networking, mentoring, and advocating woman-friendly policies
- Members include university undergraduate and graduate students, post docs, technicians, technologists, research scientists, professors, engineers, consultants, unemployed and retired women scientists.